Regular EPSDT screenings.
Following the Iowa EPDST Care for Kids Health Maintenance Recommendations, screenings provide an ideal opportunity to:
- Identify concerns through comprehensive assessment of the child and family; and
- Develop a care plan that is responsive to the family’s strengths, needs and choices.
EPSDT also requires coverage of medically necessary “interperiodic” screening outside of the periodicity schedule. Coverage is required based on an indication of a medical need to diagnose an illness or condition that was not present at the regularly scheduled screening or to determine if there has been a change in a previously diagnosed illness or condition that requires additional services. The determination of whether a screening service outside of the periodicity schedule is necessary may be made by the child’s physician or dentist, or by a health, developmental, or educational professional who comes into contact with a child outside of the formal health care system.
Please visit our Resources page to find medical home resources for special needs populations.
- International Adoption
- Immigrant Screening
- Genetic Disorders
- Other Disorders
IA EPSDT Screenings
Iowa EPSDT Screening Requirements include comprehensive histories, physical exams, age-appropriate screenings, immunizations, and anticipatory guidance.
As part of EPSDT Screening, all children should receive regular well-child checkups to detect potential problems. In addition to the information below, please refer to the Iowa Periodicity Schedule and explanation for additional information on required EPSDT Screenings.
A well-child checkup includes:
- Comprehensive histories and assessment of physical and mental health, development, and nutrition. Bright Futures is an excellent resource for providing comprehensive care.
- To assess family risk factors: Use the Bright Futures intake form or the social history part of the Iowa Child Health & Development Record.
- Unclothed physical exam: Use CDC growth charts.
- Age-appropriate immunizations: Follow CDC immunization guidelines.
- AAP provides guidance on pediatric vision screening and hearing assessments for infants and children. Iowa law requires vision screening for children in kindergarten and third grade, and hearing screening of all newborns.
- AAP provides guidance on the Oral Health exam. Iowa law requires that children under the age of 12 years who receive Medicaid must have a dental home. See the I-Smile Dental Home Initiative and visit our Periodicity Schedule page for more information.
- Age-appropriate laboratory tests, including blood lead level assessments at certain ages.
- Health education and anticipatory guidance:
- Bright Futures is an excellent resource and provides materials for families.
- Additional information is available as part of the Iowa Child Health & Development Record.
- Iowa State University provides anticipatory guidance handouts for families. Download "Ages and Stages" brochures at no cost from ISU Extension and Outreach. These brochures are also available in a Spanish version, Edades.
Tools for Examination
Iowa Periodicity Schedule
The Iowa Periodicity Schedule provides health maintenance recommendations and information about the frequency and content of each EPSDT well-child/preventative health screening exam.
EPSDT Care for Kids recommends the Bright Futures: Guidelines for Health Supervision of Infants, Children, and Adolescents. In addition to this book and pocket guide, Bright Futures offers tool kits, including pre-visit questionnaires, visit forms, and educational material for families.
Iowa Child Health & Development Record, or Iowa CHDR form, is designed to be used as part of a specific health maintenance visit during the time from birth to age 18.
If you have questions or would like information related to specific services or topics, please visit our Contact Us page.
If you prefer to get in touch with EPSDT Care for Kids by phone, please use this number:
EPSDT is committed to making all information and materials accessible to everyone.
To increase the font size on pages, hold CTRL and press + (PC) or hold Command and press + (Mac). Please contact us if you need materials in alternate formats.